Sunday, March 22, 2009

March 9, 2009

This week was the first full week in the mission field. Our group left the MTC at 5 AM. It was weird to say good-bye to everyone in my branch ….they were great. We arrived in Denver in the late morning. Elder Hobbins and I were able to teach on the flight to Denver. The flight attendant was sitting right next to us and we struck up a conversation with her. We learned that she is Lutheran and believes that everyone should be able to read the scriptures. We explained that we share that belief, and proceeded to teach her about the restoration of the Gospel – Joseph Smith and the book of Mormon. We committed her to pray about the things we taught and also to read 3 Nephi 11. Her friend had given her a Book of Mormon, but she had not read it. It was such a cool experience to be able to teach a real person before we even got to our mission field. I feel like she really listened to us.
We spent our first day at the mission president’s home. President and Sister Ely are very cool. They shared with us their conversion story, which was very touching. Also at tthe mission home we were given a brief orientation on how the mission is run and the things we need (or need not) be doing.
So I’ve been in the Colorado Denver North Mission since March 3rd. My trainer’s name is Elder Cazier. I’m pretty sure we have the two hardest names to pronounce in the mission. He’s very cool! He actually lived in Vermont for a few years, so he loves New England (obviously!) and is a BIG RED SOX FAN!!! He lives in Arizona now, but I look at him as a New Englander. Everyone here loves him. He’s been a trainer for five times!!!
We are serving in the Savory Pond Ward. There are tons of hills here, and we have a constant view of the Rockies to the west. They’re a lot further away than they look.
Oh yeah – my knee (hee-hee) apparently I have patellar tendonitis. No fun.
I’m pretty comfortable with teaching. I never thought I was a teacher. The people here are friendly for the most part, and it is easy to love them. We’ve been teaching mostly members and less-active members, which is fun. But we did set a woman for Baptism on Easter. We’ve placed two Books of Mormon and given out I-don’t-know-how-many pass along cards.. Talking to people on the street is still kinda awkward, but is getting more comfortable. Getting shot down by people stinks,
I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment